If you are feeling anxious about Valentineâs Day, spare a thought for those working in the floral industry. For them, this is the busiest time of the year, and itâs largely about just one flower: the ubiquitous red rose.
Ahead of February 14, Gulf News visited Black Tulip Flowers, the regionâs largest floral company, to gain an insight into how they deliver millions of Valentineâs Day roses in 35 countries worldwide.
The Sharjah-based company begins operations at 3.45am when most of us are still in bed, to prepare for their biggest days of flower sales.
âWe are the third largest flower grower in the world and this is the peak time for our business so one can well imagine whatâs it like here,â said the companyâs owner and chairman M.M. Ehiya, an Indian expat who started from a small flower shop on Sharjahâs King Faisal Road in 1990.
In addition to 21 outlets in the UAE, today Black Tulip owns 11 flower farms in Kenya, five in Ethiopia and two in India. Around 8-10 tonnes of flowers are imported from these farms daily.
The companyâs nondescript headquarters in Al Nahda was abuzz with activity as scores of florists worked overtime, pruning roses and trimming stems when Gulf News dropped by at the place on Monday.
âValentineâs Day is all about the red rose, the unquestionable symbol of love,â said head of marketing Deepali Gupta who, like most of Black Tulipâs 8,000 odd staff, has been scrambling to meet the enormous demand.
"We cater to over 200 hotels across various emirates besides major hypermarkets, government entities and corporate houses in the country," she added. "All hotels under annual contracts for weekly flowers have got bespoke florals displays installed by our designer crew ahead of Valentine's Day while remaining hotels chains associated with us for wholesale supply have placed bulk orders for red roses for their guests. Each hypermarket chain is buying anywhere between 30,000 and 70,000 roses."
Petals to the metal
A staggering 1.5 million rose stems have been flown to the UAE alone in the last week. Thatâs almost twice as much as the company imports in an entire month.
âWe cater to 217 hotels in the UAE besides almost all major hypermarkets in the country. Almost all hotels chains have placed bulk orders for rose buds for their guests, while each hypermarket chain is buying anywhere between 50,000 and 70,000 roses from us daily.
Around 70 per cent of these roses are from Black Tulipâs farms in Kenya where decayed manure from 2,000 cows is used to help the flowers get their distinct crimson hue and myrrh scent.
âWe have over 200 varieties of roses including the much sought-after Ecuadorians known for their large size, vibrant colours and long vase life. They are very popular among Russians,â said head of operations Imran Khan whose job is to ensure the flowers remain bright and fresh, and more importantly, reach customers on time.
âEcuadorians stems can grow up to 150 centimetres, making them truly special for that someone special. However, each stem could set you back roughly Dh40. In comparison, a Kenyan rose retails for just Dh7,â explained Khan as he gave us peak into the journey of the delicate and time-sensitive perishable product from overseas farms to vases in the UAE.
âThe whole process entails several critical junctures. The cold chain is one of the most important aspect of floral management. We have to maintain consistent temperatures throughout the journey which starts from the farm where the flowers are harvested. Once farm workers place the flowers in cardboard boxes, theyâre hauled to the airport where a plane brings them to the UAE. After they have cleared airport customs, the boxes are stored in refrigerated facilities before being transported to our warehouses in specialised cold trucks called Reefer Vans,â said Khan.
âHere, they undergo rigorous quality check and then moved to cold rooms before being dispatched to flower shops, Hotels, and direct end-users,â he added.
Abraham Sunny, companyâs group general manager said Valentineâs Day is their busiest and most profitable time after Motherâs Day. âThere have been occasions when I had to sleep in office to oversee things,â he said.
Ehiya said despite the wide range of gifting options, roses reign supreme on Valentineâs Day. âAs long as there is love, there will be red roses,â he said.
Top tips to keep flowers last longer
Cut the stems: Use garden shears to trim one to two inches off and cut at an angle to allows for better water intake
Prune: Remove any leaves below the water line to prevent bacterial growth.
Water wisely: Get your bouquet hydrated, but do so wisely, donât overwater, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and sugar to the room temperature water.
Valentine's Day is a considered as a special day to send messages of love and affection to partners, family and friends. Couples sendÂ Valentine's DayÂ cards and flowers and spend special time together to honour their love for each other.
As everyone knows, Valentine's Day is celebrated on 14th February every year across the globe. People send Valentineâs Day gifts onlineÂ across the country to their special ones.
This day is dedicated for love and enjoyed by lovers romance and exchanging gifts and messages. Also this day is considered to be a special day to propose their loved one for a long lasting relationship.
Now you can send Valentine's day gift to DubaiÂ with ease through Black Tulip Flowers, the best online shop in UAE.
Valentine's Day Celebration
You can say your love to your partner, spouse or sweetheart by sending online Valentine flowers in DubaiÂ with Blacktulip Flowers.
If you are planning to celebrate this Valentine's Day in a special way, be it your spouse or your lover or planning to propose, please keep in mind to avoid the following to continue your relationship in a stronger way.
Things to avoid on a Valentine's Day Date
- If you have a plan to have a special dinner with your better half or fiance or partner-make it more special by booking a confirmed dinner table well in advance to avoid any misunderstanding or misfortune as Feb 14th will be a crowded day in any outlet.
- Planning for a special meeting amidst your busy schedule-please avoid. Cancel all your meetings and make your time special only for your special one.
- Avoid spicy and chewy food during the whole day before you meet your partner to propose on this day. Spicy foods can make you smell bad which can worsen your day.
- Try not to text or message your special one with one of the 10 poems and texts from the internet. Be real and express your love in your own special way in your own words.
- Try not to overwhelm with your gifts and plans well in advance, even if the date is with your spouse. Give a special sweet surprise with fantastic gifts.
- On a special date with your loved one on the Valentine's Day, avoid talking about your ex's or broken love which will worsen the situation.
- Try to be creative and genuinely romantic to express your special love and affection towards your partner. Create some special things to make your partner feel the romance in you.
- Love makes life beautiful-so be true to your love and avoid any un pleasant happening on the special day.
Say it with a flower bouquet of your choice from Black Tulip Flowers, one of the best online flowers and gift shop in UAE.
Visit usonline to see our full product range and make use of our daily deals and couponsfor your online Valentine's Day gift delivery in Dubai this festive season.
Black Tulip Flowers wishes all its valuable clients a Happy & a romantic Valentine's Day!
Valentine's Day is celebrated on 14th February every year across the globe by couples to show their love, affection and respect to their spouse, partners and sweethearts.
This day is dedicated for love by lovers all over the world. Usually people wait for this day to propose their love.
Black Tulip Flowers, the best online shop in UAE, you can send Valentine's day gift to Dubai with ease.
Valentine Week Days List
This day is a special day, not only for couples for every person who wants to say their love to someone special.
Is it not surprising to hear that the entire week before Valentine's Day is dedicated to the celebration of love?
Here are the names of the day
- 7th Feb, Rose Day
- 8th Feb, Propose Day
- 9th Feb, Chocolate Day
- 10th Feb, Teddy Day
- 11th Feb, Promise Day
- 12th Feb, Hug Day
- 13th Feb, Kiss Day
- 14th Feb, Valentine,s Day
7 ways to say I love you
You can say your love to your partner, spouse or sweetheart by sending online Valentine flowers in Dubai with Blacktulip Flowers.
In general, Valentine's Day is seen as a day to express your love or propose your love to your partner. It is not necessary to say your love in a grand manner with a diamond ring or costly gifts.
Even flowers express love more than anything. You can propose or express love in some affordable ways.
Your smile says it all
With the smile in your partner's face, you can say it sweetly by "your smile says it all -that you love me" and you are my life.
You can say it with a Special Heart flower arrangement from Black Tulip Flowers.
- Everybody in the world say, âyou can fall in love only once-but I will say it can't be true because every time when I look at you, I fall in love.
- It sounds better to say it with Romance Arrangement, a red rose bouquet
- Express your love in a modest way â The world is a better place to live in with you in it. This shows your love and how the partner mean to you.
- As there are many ways to say I love you, you can say it simple and short expressing it strongly by saying -"We are meant to be for each other!"
- By saying âMeeting you was the best thing in my life that ever happened to me"Â would strongly express the love have for your partner.
- Express your love with a Pink Proposal-"I would like to spend the rest of my life together with you"
- Send Valentine's Day gifts online and express your love to your partner or spouse or someone special.Â
Black Tulip Flowers has variety of gifts other than flowers for Valentine Gift Ideas in UAE.
Visit us online to see our full product range and make use of our daily deals and coupons for your online Valentine's Day gift delivery in Dubai this festive season.
Black Tulip Flowers wishes all its valuable clients a Happy & a romantic Valentine's Day!